Icons from the 18th, 19th and early 20th centuries adorn the iconostasis: Christ and the Mother of God, representations of the Trinity, Saint Seraphim (patron saint of the church) and Old Testament high priests. Most of the icons were crafted around 1804, including those on the central sky door. The icons on the side doors are even older. They all came to Bad Nauheim more than 100 years ago. In keeping with Russian Orthodox tradition, they decorate the partition wall in front of the sanctuary. Also remarkable is the richly decorated wooden rood screen with halo above the sky door, which was constructed 200 years ago. After extensive restoration and conservation work initiated by a sponsoring association, the 11-metre-long iconostasis now shines again in undreamt-of splendour of colour.
About the Reinhard Church
Only very few churches have such a chequered past. The building was erected in 1733 and consecrated as a Lutheran church. The builder was Count Johann Reinhard III (coat of arms above the entrance portal). The church later became a Catholic parish church and was consecrated Russian Orthodox in 1908. Many spa guests from Russia came to Bad Nauheim at that time. Visitors to the church included Tsar Nicholas II and his family. The Tsar, Tsarina and their four children attended services several times during their stay at the spa in 1910. Tsarina Alexandra Feodorovna and her sister Elisabeth even took over the patronage of this place of worship. Today, Russian Orthodox services are once again held regularly in the church.
Nicholas II donated a large chandelier to the Russian Church, which is preserved to this day. Also worth seeing is the altar window from the Art Nouveau period. It can be assumed that the Russian court architect Benois designed the window. The collaboration of Russian artists and German craftsmen resulted in a highlight of stained glass art.